Kawasaki® ‘96’ ZXI models
1100cc, 900cc & 750cc
Preface - These instructions are intended to aid in the installation of the MT-TRIM- KW. Please read the following completely before beginning installation. If there is any portion that you don’t understand, please contact a qualified Kawasaki Mechanic or call Technical Assistance at (714) 556-6100. Basic mechanical skills and electrical knowledge is required. A Kawasaki shop manual may also be of great assistance.
1) Locate the trim motor. It is a black plastic box mounted to the hull in front of the carburetors. The trim has two harnesses that go up towards the handlebars. In these harnesses you will find the wires necessary to connect the Trim-O-Matic, all but the speedo wire. The speedo wire is located in the main harness that goes from front to rear of the watercraft. SEE ILLUSTRATION for wire harness locations.
2) Now check the wires to make sure you have located the correct wires. Use a 12 volt test light and check to see if the red / green wire has 12volts. The green / yellow will have 12 volts only while you depress the up trim switch and the trim is moving. The blue / yellow will also have 12 volts only while the trim down switch is depressed. Locate the black wire in the same harness as the red / green and you will use this as the ground for the Trim-O-Matic.
3) Once you are sure you have located the correct wires put the trim in the full down position and disconnect the battery.
4) Cut the green / yellow and the blue / yellow wires. Now install the connectors supplied so the long wires from the Trim-O-Matic go towards the handlebars and the short wires from the Trim-O-Matic will go towards the trim motor.
5) Install the connectors supplied to the red / green for 12 volts and the black for ground and the green / red in the large harness for the speedo pick-up.
6) Once all the wires are connected, mount the Trim-O-Matic with the supplied tie raps and secure to one or more wire harnesses.
7) Re-connect the battery and operate the trim up and down. It might take several attempts to get the trim to go full up and full down. The trim will never go all the way to the top posision. It needs to travel only 7/8 of the way to keep it in calibration.
8) Once you ride the watercraft and set the trim to your favorite setting, the Trim-O- Matic will remember each move you make. ( Trim Position verse Speed ) The setting will be changed each time you make an adjustment at a different speed.